Chocolate Chip Cut-Out Cookies

>> Saturday, October 24, 2009




Look at my new toy! It's a three-layer storage container that snaps together that I'm using for my cookie cutter collection. Top layer is everyday, middle is Halloween, and bottom is Christmas. Because the layers snap apart, I can take only what I need to a friend's house, which I did last night. Guess this is one of the benefits of working at Target. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have gotten the idea.



Halloween is closing in, so I wanted to use my cookie cutters a few times before the holiday is over. I saw a recipe in one of my books awhile ago for chocolate chip cut-out cookies. Who says it always has to be plain sugar cookies? The only bad thing about this recipe is it uses two sticks of margarine, which gives it almost a shortbread undertone. Really don't know how else to describe it.



The frosting was amazing too. Actually, I don't remember where I got the frosting recipe. I found a bunch on Recipe Zaar, which also somehow led me to someone's blog. I have three different recipes written down, so I don't remember. Not only does it stay white, it hardens after a bit so you can stack the cookies. Definitely a keeper since I haven't had such good luck before.

Chocolate Mini Chip Holiday Cookies



2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2-3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

1. Beat butter, both sugars, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until creamy. Beat in yolk. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for about an hour.

2. Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out half of dough. Cut into shapes and place onto ungreased cookie sheets. If the dough gets too soft, place back into freezer and take out the other half. Repeat until all the dough is used. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

3. Frosting: Beat together butter and sugar. Add 2 Tbsp of milk and extract. Add more milk if frosting is too thick. Use immediately. If it hardens, beat it with a knife or spoon to soften it up again.

Source: Nestle Best-Loved Cookies, 1995 p. 21

6 comments:

Katrina 2:21 PM  

Fun containers!
Yummy--wouldn't have thought of adding chocolate chips to a cut out cookie. Everything is better with chocolate though!

Steph 7:07 PM  

I like your container, but I would probably never get a chance to use it because i'm so lazy! My stuff is always piling all over the table. I'm surprised my mom hasn't thrown it all out yet.

Stephanie Bourassa 5:31 PM  

Oh you know what? I have never thought of using cutters with chocolate chip cookies! I have a small collections and I never got round to use them. I have a nice idea I saw for xmas cookies though, remind me to talk to you about it :)

Adam 8:09 AM  

Happy Halloween Carla! I hope you are having fun out there :) I'm with you on the cookie cutters, it shouldn't matter what kind they are. A pumpkin shaped cookie is tasty either way!

Megan 5:58 PM  

I like this idea! A chocolate chip pumpkin is my idea of a great treat! Happy Halloween Carla!

Megan 5:58 PM  

I like this idea! A chocolate chip pumpkin is my idea of a great treat! Happy Halloween Carla!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP