See's Peanut Brittle Ice Cream

>> Saturday, April 18, 2009

A few weeks back, I mentioned See's Candy offered me a sample of anything from their company if I agreed to make a recipe with it. Originally, I had asked for Awesome Peanut Brittle Bars, but I received an email from their lovely staff and was informed that they sent me regular peanut brittle instead. They even offered to send me the bars along with the regular brittle. As tempting as it was, I figured both would be good in ice cream, so I stuck with the peanut brittle.




Honestly, I expected a small sample. When I went home Easter weekend, I was being nudged, both by my cat and my dad, to hurry up and open the giant box. Inside was a 1 1/2 lb. box of brittle. 24 ounces!! I better get to work! I already had in mind a peanut butter ice cream with brittle thrown in. I was debating on adding a fudge swirl, but I decided not this time because I didn't want to cover the brittle flavor. While I was getting everything ready, of course I ate a piece. Mmmm, yummy! Definitely high quality. It reminded me of pecan pralines except peanut and more crunchy.

I definitely endore See's Candy, not only for excellent peanut brittle but for awesome customer service. The guys who emailed me seemed down-to-earth and not stuck-up sales people. Go buy their candy now!



The ice cream turned out really well. The peanut butter base came from Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream book. I was skeptical because it only calls for 1/3 cup peanut butter, but it's enough without overpowering. Now, I was a little concerned because they don't cook their eggs. After a discussion on Live Journal, salmonella is found mainly on the outside of the egg and doesn't affect that many people. As long as you don't drop shell into the mix, it should be fine. Unless you have someone with a poor immune system.

I freeze my ice cream by hand because I don't have room for an ice cream maker. Hasn't failed yet! I included those instructions below.


See's Peanut Brittle Ice Cream


1 egg
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup broken peanut brittle chunks

1. Beat egg until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Beat in sugar, little at a time. Beat 1 minute more. Pour in cream and milk. Beat in peanut butter. Place in a freezer-safe bowl and freeze 45 minutes.

2. After 45 minutes, bring out ice cream. Beat for 1-2 minutes to break up any ice crystals forming. Repeat every half hour for 2-3 hours. When it looks almost firm, stir in peanut brittle. Freeze for another 30 minutes then serve if ready. If not, keep freezing.

Makes 1 pint.

Source: Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Dessert Book

2 comments:

Katrina 10:02 PM  

Daaannnggg, that sounds awesome. Please, tell See's I love them, too! ;)

Maria 11:28 AM  

Oh wow that looks good! It is finally warming up and that means all the more reason to enjoy ice cream!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP