You Never Would Have Guessed...

>> Sunday, November 02, 2008

I never realized this before until last Monday. It was the second day of me being sick, and I'm starving. Yet, I didn't feel like eating. So I'm laying on my bed, watching my tape of various Food Network shows I have taped. Then all of a sudden, I decided to make mashed potatoes two hours before work. I checked my potatoes. Two were rotten, two were not. Just to be safe, I peeled the non-rotten potatoes because although I examined the skins over and over, I didn't want to take a chance. Normally, I would've thrown them out because they were touching the rotten ones, but you don't understand. I had barely any food in the apartment for me to eat while sick.

Anyway, what I never realized was I had never made mashed potatoes before. My friend asked, never with your parents growing up? Nope, they made those packets where you add water/milk/whatever it calls for. I don't even understand it myself. I do not get my food passion from my parents. They never influenced me (except maybe to flavor my meats more!) They are the reason why I hate meatloaf and pork chops. Our palettes are so different. I get my eat-anything gene from my dad, but even then I eat some things he doesn't like, like catfish or curry. My mom pretty much hates everything I cook because she doesn't like strong flavors. My brother is picky too, but not as bad as my mom. As far as baking, my mom bakes from a box. My dad does make pie or anchovy balls (yes, we love anchovies!), but he buys pre-made crust or pre-made crescent dough. So how did I learn to cook? I've taken three cooking classes throughout middle and high school, but even then most of the stuff I know I taught myself via recipes or blogs. I did grow up admiring pictures (mainly desserts) in my mom's magazines, like Family Circle or Woman's Day.

So back to my mashed potatoes. I looked up a recipe on Recipe Zaar. I found one that was so good, it doesn't need gravy. Good, because I had no clue on how to make gravy haha


Mashed Potatoes



2 baking potatoes, cleaned (peeling is optional)
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp dried parsley
Salt and pepper

1. Cut potatoes into cubes. Boil potatoes and whole garlic cloves. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and put into a mixing bowl.

2. Add milk, cheese, butter, parsley, salt and pepper. Either mash by hand or with a mixer until smooth.

Makes 2-4 servings.

Source: Recipe Zaar

10 comments:

Adam 6:59 PM  

No mashed potatoes? Really? Well congrats on your first spudly adventure! Mashing stuff is very much fun, especially when you feel a little stressed.

Hope ya feel better soon :)

Reeni 7:24 PM  

That's funny. Your potatoes came out great, yummy. Love them with parmesan and garlic. Hope your not sick anymore!

Patsyk 10:13 PM  

I love mashed potatoes... total comfort food!

Steph 10:27 PM  

That is so funny. Sometimes I wonder how I got started getting into baking. My mom never baked, not even from cake mixes. When I was young, I used to have to beg her to buy me the Betty Crocker rainbow mix so I could bake cupcakes. Sadly, I never got an eazy bake oven for christmas. I probably would've liked those mini cakes, but when I think about it now I seriously wonder how I could like something so chemically tasting.

I'm totally with you on the trying everything. I'm actually really picky and like bland foods, but if there's something new I've never tried before, I have to to taste it just because I'm curious.

So anyway, those mashed potatoes look great! I love mashed potatoes, but I hate peeling hot potatoes and I also hate eating endless amounts of it.. haha.

Anj 7:26 AM  

I think I can attribute my addiction to carbs from my mom's Sunday mashed potatoes, yet I didn't learn to cook from her. Looks like you mastered them on your first try. Hope you're feeling better.

Steph 8:32 AM  

I guess I could try peeling them first next time, but that's how my mom and I usually make mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the tip about the restaurants. We never know where to go and end up going to Rachels? I think it's called.

The Cookbook Junkie 9:28 AM  

When you're out on your own and have room for more kitchen gadgets, get a potato ricer. Ricers make the best 'mashed' potatoes.

I know why I like to cook - I like to eat. I was cooking for my family from a young age - my older sisters pawned the job off on me. I suppose I was either going to end up hating to cook (since I didn't have a choice) or loving it and I ended up loving it.

joanna 5:24 PM  

i've never made them myself either! my mom makes me peel the potatoe which is obviously the worst part. at least they always taste good.

Karen 6:51 PM  

The mashed potatoes look great! I love using red potatoes for this, too

Stephanie Bourassa 10:25 AM  

Welcome to the big world Carla hehe!
Of course you customed the potatoes, that's just true to your cooking abilities :)

My mom is the one who cooks at home, and she is quite picky, so are my siblings. So we used to just eat the same thing all the time. My dad is a little more adventurous. But I have always loved to eat and especially try new things. I like anything pretty much. So ever since I was old enough, I started cooking a little and wanting to try new stuff.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP