If Only I Had A Slice Now

>> Monday, November 03, 2008

Ok so really I baked this pie back in October after I went to an apple festival, but I love this picture so much, I couldn't let it sit on my laptop any longer. I used Roma apples, which are delicious on their own. This is considered French Apple Pie because there is a topping rather than another crust on top. I'm getting better at making homemade crusts. Now if I can just make it a circle so it actually fits the plate haha


French Apple Pie




Pastry for 1 crust pie
6 apples, peeled, cored, and slices (mine were more cubed than sliced)
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 425. Place pie crust into 9-inch pie plate.

2. Combine sugar, flour, salt, zest, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Place half of apples in pie shell. Squeeze 1 Tbsp juice on top. Top with half of sugar mixture. Arrange the rest of the apples on top. Repeat with juice and sugar mixture. Dot with butter.

3. Blend together topping ingredients with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over pie. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes.

Makes 1 pie.

Source: Long Grove Apple Haus Apple Cookbook, 1976 p.61

9 comments:

Lauren 7:07 AM  

seems like it had a struesel- like topping- yummy! I borrowed my secret for homemade crust from Martha- make sure EVERYTHING is cold- the ingredients and the equipment. I make mine in a food processor and a stick in the fridge or freezer before use.

Megan 8:43 AM  

If you had a piece now, I would be on my way over for it. Looks scrumpcious!

Steph 8:47 AM  

I like your topping over pie crust! For some reason, I'm not too into crusts.. too buttery for me and no brown sugar!

I didn't end up making the rugalech.. no time!

Stephanie Bourassa 10:19 AM  

Mmmmmm! Apple pie is my favorite of all pies. Now you just make me crave pies even more hehe!

Meg 10:24 AM  

This looks so delicious! I absolutely love the topping!

Nancy/n.o.e 11:51 AM  

Ooh, I just love a pie with a topping. Yours looks lovely.
Nancy

Beth 1:33 PM  

I'm a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com

Beth 2:21 PM  

Great - thanks! Yup, I'm making paypal arrangements right now. I don't think it will be more than $1per person. Please email me at bethberg12@yahoo.com and I'll add you to the list.

Reeni 5:45 PM  

I love pies with crumb topping much more than a crust topping. I have a whole peck of apples just begging to be made into a pie. Yours looks wonderfully delicious!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP