A Filling Breakfast

>> Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Yet another recipe I made back in October with my apples. This breakfast is time consuming because you have to brown the sausage, then shred the apples, then make the syrup and pancakes. I guess you could save time by having already-browned sausage, but you don't want to prepare the apples until you are ready to use them. I was impressed by the syrup. Normally, I don't eat toppings with my pancakes. This syrup, although optional, tastes good.

And today is the last day I register for classes, ever. None of them sound fun except maybe oceanography because we are going to the Bahamas for spring break. No video classes though because I took them all already :(

Yes, I voted. Stop asking me haha


Apple Sausage Pancakes with Cider Syrup



1/2 lb. bulk pork sausage
2/3 cup flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup shredded, peeled apples

Syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 cup apple cider
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp butter

1. In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain grease and set aside.

2. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Beat in egg, milk, and oil until just moistened. Fold in apples and sausage. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls into hot skillet or griddle. When the top bubbles and the bottom is brown, flip and cook until bottom is brown. Repeat until batter is gone.

3. Meanwhile, for syrup: combine sugar, cornstarch, and spices in a small saucepan. Gradually stir in cider and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Serve warm with pancakes.

Makes 12 pancakes.

Source: Taste of Home's Quick Cooking Magazine, Sept./Oct. 2001 p. 12

10 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie 1:17 PM  

Oh boy I bet those were great. I love the combination of apples and sausage.

Maria 4:14 PM  

That cider syrup sounds sooooo delicious!!

Reeni 5:37 PM  

Those are awesome! I just made apple pancakes but I love the sausage in them, very tasty! The syrup looks yummy too!

Adam 8:54 PM  

Whoa, Carla... we need to make a deal. You make those for breakfast, and I'll announce in the student union how awesome you are. Or we'll go to a Steeler game. Deal? :)

Steph 9:57 PM  

I haven't had pancakes in ages. I usually eat them plain, but the sausage and apple combo sounds delicious.

Has it hit you that you're going to graduate yet? I'm so freaked out I didn't even sign up for grad pictures yet!

Megan 8:11 AM  

Last time ever (to sign up for classes), wow. You go girl!!!
This syrup sounds so good. I'll have to try it.
Burmuda? You know we we'll want tons of pictures.
Glad you voted. Largest turnout in history. :)

Alwayzbakin 11:49 AM  

Yummy! Yummy! Those are something I would love to try.

Karen 12:00 PM  

There's just something about apples and sausage... love the recipe!

Lauren 1:45 PM  

ooh, I love pancakes with bacon. I bet they are good with sausage too.

Meg 4:21 PM  

Love it, especially the apple cider syrup!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP