My Favorite Vegetable

>> Wednesday, October 29, 2008

One reason I love fall is the abundance of winter squash. Butternut squash is my favorite, although since I recently began cooking with spaghetti squash, it may have a tough time staying number one.

I've been sick since Sunday, so here's a soup I made. People are surprised I still have the energy to cook. I enjoy it so much, it's more fun than work. Plus I have nobody to take care of me, so if I want to eat, I have to suck it up and cook.

Even if I wasn't sick, I still would've made this soup because I had to use up my squash. I'm entering this in Weekend Cookbook Challenge 33 - Fall Vegetables. This soup made six servings, so I froze the leftovers for later.


Curried Winter Squash Bisque



2 lb. butternut squash
2 Tbsp butter
1 whole scallion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small green pepper, chopped (I didn't have any)
1 tsp dried parsley or basil (or both??)
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
Pinch of nutmeg
2 tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut squash in half. If you are having trouble, put it in boiling water for a few minutes to soften the skin. Remove seeds and save them for later. Place cut side down onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 45 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, peel and cut into cubes.

2. Melt butter over medium-low heat. Saute scallion, garlic, and green pepper for 5 minutes. Add squash cubes, tomatoes, broth, and spices. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat for a few minutes.

3. In small batches (because hot liquid will expand and cause the lid to blow off), puree in a blender. Have another saucepan ready so you can pour the pureed soup into it. Once completely done, stir in curry powder. Heat to boiling again, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes before serving.

Makes six bowls.

Source: Greene on Greens 1984, p. 334-335

8 comments:

Patsyk 8:32 PM  

Hope you are feeling better. That soup looks wonderful.

Reeni 9:19 PM  

Butternut squash is one of my faves too. Love the soup. Hope your feeling better!

Steph 10:52 PM  

I hope you feel better Carla! I feel like I can't breath and got punched in the stomach after getting my test back today. I don't think I've gotten that low on anything since first year! I keep telling myself it's just marks, it probably won't matter so stop caring. But with the whole uncertain future thing I have going on here, I need every mark I can get in case I want to apply for graduate school. This totally sucks. On a slightly happier note, this guy I told my disguishing mark told me I should just go into baking.. haha.. if it were that easy. Plus, I think he was just trying to be nice.

This girl I usually share my stuff with made cookies today and another girl made pound cake. I think I'm totally too self conscious because even though it wasn't that great it was exciting to be offered something homemade. I should just stop worrying.. it is totally stressing me out!

The soup sounds great. I don't actually like soup, but if there's butternut squash in it then it makes it totally irresistable!

The Cookbook Junkie 10:06 AM  

I was eyeing a very similar soup last night, but it was a pumpkin soup. I'm dying to try it but I know it wouldn't fly with the boys. There are advantages to only having to cook for yourself. Enjoy those days.

Maria 1:42 PM  

I love the good old butternut. I bet it is fabulous in this soup here!

Karen 3:23 PM  

Butternut's the best. The soup look so comforting!

Sara 12:31 PM  

Sounds delicious, I like the addition of tomatos, never saw that in a curried squash soup before. Thanks for sending this in to WCC!

Cynthia's Blog 2:22 AM  

That's okay I have a house full of people and I'm the only cook. (My fault)

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP