Just As Good As Spaghetti Without The Carbs

>> Saturday, October 25, 2008

My favorite vegetable would probably have to be squash - yellow squash, zucchini, pumpkin, butternut, and spaghetti squash. I'm not so crazy about acorn squash, but it might have been the way I prepared it. Anyway, since I'm in college, I tend to eat a lot of pasta and rice. Although I'm not carb conscious, I do realize eating too much is bad. One solution is to pretend you are eating pasta when really it's just spaghetti squash. I never understood this vegetable until I cooked it for the first time. For some reason, I thought the strands would be too hard to scrape. Honestly, it's probably the easiest thing to do. Much easier than cutting the raw vegetable in half haha

Tip: If you are having difficulty cutting winter squash in half, boil it for three minutes to slightly soften the skin. Your knife and arm will thank you!

Also don't throw away those seeds! You can easily roast them for a tasty snack. If you are skeptical, think pumpkin seeds. After all, pumpkin is a squash.


Spaghetti Squash




Preheat oven to 375F. Cut squash in half. Scrape out seeds; reserve. Place each half cut-side down on a cookie sheet. Bake for about an hour or until tender. Let cool until touchable. Using a fork, scrape out the fibers into thin strands and place in a bowl. Toss with your favorite pasta sauce. I used butter, garlic, onions, mushrooms, and parmesan cheese.

Roasted Seeds



Preheat oven to 350F. Separate seeds from any squash remains as best as you can. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry. Toss with a bit of oil and seasoning (I used garlic salt). Spread the seeds onto a cookie sheet. For every five minutes in the oven, check on seeds and move them around with a spoon to prevent burning. Keep doing this until brown, about 20-30 minutes. Remove and let cool before snacking.

7 comments:

Steph 2:36 PM  

I love those vegetables, there's something so creamy and buttery about them that make them addicting. Sometimes I just want to make baby food with of them! I eat way too many carbs too, especially bread and rice. I think I could live on peanut butter sandwiches for the rest of my life!

I saw spaghetti squash on the food network and thought they would be hard to scrape too, but I guess not. Actually, I thought the strands would just fall apart and not look like real spaghetti anymore.

That looks wonderful Carla! It's nice that you get to eat good food even with your busy schedule.

Joanna 3:22 PM  

i never thought of doing anything with the seeds. that's a really good idea. i like the array of toppings you put on your squash. i usually just use pepperoni and pasta sauce.

Patsyk 4:09 PM  

I love spaghetti squash, but my family is not so crazy about it.

Reeni 7:54 PM  

I can't remember ever eating this. I'm intrigued and am going to get one. You made it look so good!

Katerina 1:05 AM  

I am also a big fan of spaghetti squash. Good tip to boil it first, the thing I hate the most about cooking any squash is cutting the darn thing in half for sure.

Katrina 9:11 AM  

Got me a spaghetti squash and butternut sitting on the counter waiting to be eaten up!

Lauren 11:58 AM  

I love spaghetti squash. My husband and I do this great dish with it where we make a tomato sauce to put over the squash and also make breaded and baked tofu "cutlets" (which are very good if you like tofu). It's like having a healthy version of chicken parmesean. Takes a bit more time then may be in your schedule everyday, but worth a try.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP