Tuesdays With Dorie - Dimply Plum Cake

>> Tuesday, September 23, 2008



Another Tuesday, another wonderful recipe. I don't eat plums very often. My dad, on the other hand, eats plums, peaches, and nectarines like candy. So it's not the abundance issue. It's just...I don't eat plums. When this week's recipe was Dimply Plum Cake, I knew I had to make it for my dad. I went home (again) this past weekend because I had tickets to see Colin Mocherie and Brad Sherwood. Since the city is closer to my house than my school, it made more sense to just go home.

This felt like the perfect fall cake. Instead of cardamon, I used cloves. I could definitely taste the cloves but it didn't overpower the cake. You could probably use nutmeg, cinnamon, or a combination of all three. I have no idea what cardamon tastes like, so I can't tell you if that was a close substitution. All I know is it tasted good!

The cake did get slightly soggy from the fruit, so it kinda fell apart when cut. Then again, I didn't remove it from the pan to cool, so that might have be my fault. Dorie gives all kinds of ingredient substitutions so you can enjoy this all year round. I want to try the peaches, lemon juice, and basil version.

Dimply Plum Cake




Thank you Michelle from Bake-En for picking this for September! For the recipe, please refer to p. 41 of Baking: From My Home To Yours or online at Bake-En.

13 comments:

Engineer Baker 1:36 PM  

I agree - the basil idea sounds quite interesting. And since I've never been willing to cough up the money for cardamom, I couldn't tell you what would sub well. I used nutmeg.

CB 1:44 PM  

ooohhhh cloves would be an interesting cardamom sub! I used cinnamon but if I bake it again I might have to use cloves! Did your dad like the cake?
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Reeni 3:42 PM  

I love plums, I have never had them anyway but as is. Cardamom is a similar flavor to cloves and cinnamon, it is sometimes used in Chai tea. The peach version sounds delicious, too!

Steph 5:10 PM  

Fruits are like candy to me too! I think I'm actually getting fat from eating too much fruit.. at least I'm getting vitamins.

Cooking the plums will definitely help especially since fruit sizes are getting bigger and bigger these days. I should have eaten this cake with a fork and knife.. maybe it would have stopped me from eating it so quickly!

Prudy 5:45 PM  

I love the way the cake took on those plum juices, so to me it looks wonderful!

. . .,  10:23 PM  

ooh. your cake looks lovely!
you should try the basil version and let us know how it is. =)

Nancy/n.o.e 12:49 AM  

Pretty cake! The cloves sound like a good addition. Hope your dad was happy!
Nancy

Lori 6:12 AM  

great substitution - and the gooey part underneath the plums, that happened to me too!

Adam 12:29 PM  

The cake looks awesome Carla. I think it's perfect for right now, with plums still popping up everywhere. I'm looking forward to your lemon basil one :)

Oh and sorry about the Steelers this week... I don't know about you, but I needed a hug after monday night

Megan 10:05 AM  

I love plums and this looks awesome. But peach, lemon and basil sounds so interesting.

Alwayzbakin 2:17 PM  

Yours looks great! I didn't use cardamom either. I added cinnamon and I liked the cake.

Jacque 1:00 AM  

The peaches version sound really delicious! I'll bet your dad was glad to see you and your cake this weekend :)

Bungalow Barbara 11:15 PM  

Lovely cake! What a nice treat for your Dad!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP