See? I Eat Real Food In College...Sometimes

>> Friday, September 26, 2008

Back in August, I asked for some fish ideas. I was talking with Kim via email, and she showed me a recipe where you throw everything in foil and either grill, broil, or bake. I thought this would be very convenient for a college kid - throw everything together, throw in the oven while studying, and you have yourself a nice meal in one. Actually, I eat a lot so one packet definitely didn't fill me up, but the concept is still nice. Although this specific recipe isn't the one she gave me, Kim did inspire me to look up packet meal recipes.




One question though - I was supposed to remove the skin from salmon, correct? Like, it was already cut into fillets and bones removed, but one side still had the skin.

Mediterranean Salmon Fillet


Served with sugar snap peas

1 (6 ounce) salmon fillet
lemon pepper or lemon juice + black pepper (to taste)
salt (to taste)
dried dill (to taste)
2 Tbsp chopped tomatoes (drained if using canned)
2 Tbsp sliced ripe black olives
Crumbled feta cheese
2 Tbsp pine nuts (toasted optional)
1 piece heavy-duty aluminum foil

1. Rinse fillet well under cold water then pat completey dry using paper towels. Spray one side of foil with cooking spray. then place fillet in middle.

2. Sprinkle with lemon pepper, salt and dried dill. Then top with tomatoes, olives, feta, and pine nuts.

3. Fold the long sides of foil over the fillet then roll up the short sides to seal. Place packet seam sides up on a greased baking sheet. Bake 400F for about 20 minutes or until the fish flakes with a fork.

Source: Recipe Zaar

7 comments:

Ida 4:10 AM  

I don't think you have to take off the skin of the salmon when you cook it, often it's easier to remove after it's been cooked.
But I don't know. XD I'm not a cook at all, sooo.. :P
But it looks good, indeed. might be something for me to try out too..

Reeni 11:48 AM  

The skin on salmon gets very soft and turns an ugly grayish color when cooked, I prefer to remove it first but I have left it on before and it came out ok. This recipe looks so good and it's so easy to make.

Patsyk 12:36 PM  

If I am grilling, I like to keep the skin on so that it's easier to keep it all together... otherwise I like it removed.

This recipe looks great!

Adam 1:09 PM  

I kind of just scrape the skin off as I eat it... or sometimes I'll leave it. It like to keep it on as it cooks because it holds the fish together a bit... like duct tape :)

Steph 5:53 PM  

I scrape the skin off as it eat it too or sometimes I just eat it. That looks like a really good dinner, but I agree, it probably wouldn't be enough for me neither. For some reason, when there's no meat I feel like I'm never full! Especially with all the studying, I feel like I'm eating twice the amount as I do in the summer. I just say to myself that my brain is burning all those calories from TWD!

Stephanie Bourassa 9:28 PM  

When we do salmon we don't take off the skin first. We cook it and then in our plates, we just kinda scrape the fish and don't eat the skin. It becomes very easy. So I guess it doesn't matter, it's just easier to do it afterwards.

Randall 9:39 PM  

You asked me that question about the skin on my blog at dontfearfish.blogspot.com and have cut and paste the reply below. About this recipe, my mother has been doing pouch cooking with seafood for years and it is always a delicious way to prepare it (also a great way for portion control lol). I am always a little timid when it comes to cheese and fish. I am going to try this recipe but I fear that the feta will over power the salmon. Might be better with Halibut. Just a guess. I am anxious to find out.

Reply to the skin on or off Question:
Great question Carla. Simply preference is the answer. There are some dishes where the flavor from the fat under the skin give tremendous flavor. There is also another huge advantage to cooking your fish with the skin on, and that is that it keeps it together. I can only think of one instance where you might cook with the skin off, and that is in a fish stew. Even skewered, I like to cook with the skin on while grilling and then peel it off right when I pull it off the grill. I hope this helps.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP