Tuesdays With Dorie - Chocolate Whopper Malted Drops

>> Tuesday, September 09, 2008


When Rachel of Confessions of a Tangerine Tart chose Dorie's Chocolate Whopper Malted Drops, I almost had a fit. I hate Whoppers, not because of the taste but because of the texture. They just hurt my teeth every time I eat them. My original plan was to skip this week's recipe, but I was told by fellow TwDers that the Whoppers soften up a bit in the cookie. I rethought my decision and decided to halve the recipe. I made these when I went home for Labor Day weekend because if they didn't turn out, my dad and brother could eat all the cookies. Not to say my roommates wouldn't eat them, but they actually watch what they eat, so I would still have a bunch leftover. I suppose I could have treated the communication department...

For those of you not familiar with Whoppers, they are malted milk balls. Some countries have a similar product called Maltesers.

Because I didn't want to pay $4 for a small thing of malted milk powder, I bought regular chocolate milk powder. Apparently, the recipe does not specify vanilla or chocolate powder, so the reviews were mixed. Using the chocolate powder makes the cookies extra chocolatey. Some bakers thought it was too much chocolate, so next time they would omit the chocolate chunks. It's really about personal preference. The cookies were very fudgey. I don't know about the others, but mine turned out to be ridiculously soft, but they still held together. I enjoy them best frozen as I do my homework.

When I was buying the Whoppers, I saw peanut butter and strawberry versions. Maybe I'll bake these again with the peanut butter Whoppers.

Chocolate Whopper Malted Drops




Recipe can be found on page 85 of Baking: From My Home To Yours or check out Rachel's blog.

18 comments:

Teanna 11:12 AM  

Mmmm... frozen! That sound so good!

Christine 12:12 PM  

Oh I have got to try the peanut butter version whoppers with these cookies. If it tastes like a reese's peanut butter cup I am in trouble. Great job!

Engineer Baker 1:28 PM  

Frozen sounds delicious, as do PB ones. Too good.

The DeL Family 1:28 PM  

Great job! I love those chunky whoppers bulging out of those cookies!

Pamela 1:58 PM  

They look so dark and fudgy...yum! I didn't know they had all of those flavors for Whoppers either. The PB ones sound good, as does cookies from the freezer!

Prudy 2:24 PM  

Gorgeous and dark! Those are so pretty with your yummy whopper flavors.

Adam 3:10 PM  

Nice job on making these around when your dad and bro were around. I knew they were good for something right :)

So did they turn you into a malt liker? I'd go for the peanut ones too :)

Steph 4:24 PM  

Mine were really soft too. My mom actually told me that I wasted a bag of Maltesers making these cookies.. how mean! I actually had to pop them back into the oven so that they could firm up.

Steph 7:36 PM  

We go down to Grove City every year for boxing day at the Prime Outlets. Even though it hasn't been as great these past 2 years compared to before, the sales are still amazing and there are no taxes! It gets pretty nervewracking at the border though because we always exceed our limit and by a lot. Plus, the back window of our van is always blocked by shopping bags even though we wear layers and layers of clothes. Once we actually brought a vacuum cleaner back from Target!

I can't wait for the holidays because this time I'm coming back with kitchen gadgets! This year we might be going to Birch Run, Michigan instead depending on where my family wants to go.

Reeni 8:07 PM  

Soft, fudgey, frozen cookies, they look delicious! Super chocolatey is OK with me! YUM! I haven't seen the peanut butter Whoppers, I bet they would be really good in here too!

Nicola 8:14 AM  

They do look super fudgy and delicious! What kind of cocoa powder did you use?

Jodie 1:47 PM  

I did the same thing by substituting choc milk powder for the malted milk powder. I thought they were great. I cut mine down to about 1/2 c, tho, so it wouldn't be too sweet. Yours look great!

Erin,  3:09 PM  

These look great! Peanut butter whoppers would be fabulous! I'm going to have to look for those!

Nancy/n.o.e 6:09 PM  

So, your were a 'convert' of sorts? I was also. I mean from really disliking whoppers/malt to liking these cookies pretty well. I have a few frozen ones left (failed attempt at ice cream sandwiches), and I agree they're good that way. Too soft otherwise for my taste.
Nancy

Katie 10:24 PM  

Yum! What a great idea to freeze them.

Alwayzbakin 6:57 AM  

Hi,

These look great. I know what you mean about the texture. They disappeared over here, though. Great idea about the peanut butter version. That sounds great.

Kristen 7:53 PM  

They do look quite fudgy, but that is how I like things! Yum :)

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP