Thumbs Up To Thumbprints

>> Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Good news is I have access to my laptop again. Bad news is I'm using an attachable keyboard until I can get it fixed after finals week. At least I can type in my room and not worry about going all day without checking my email.

I visited my best friend last night in the hospital, and she is doing great. Even the surgeons were surprised she was sitting up and alert so soon. She was discharged early this afternoon and is resting at home. As a surprise, I baked her cookies. When she tried one, she said, "This one goes in the book" (meaning I am baking these again). Her mom wants to know why I'm not majoring in baking haha Trust me, I mess up too many times to bake as a professional. Plus it wouldn't be as much fun.

Here is the recipe I baked for her - double chocolate peanut butter thumbprints. They are double chocolate because there is cocoa powder and chocolate chips. These cookies will spread, so try to keep them in a ball as much as possible when doing the thumbprint part. The dough requires a little bit of chilling, so make sure you leave enough time.

I also included a basic thumbprint recipe for those who prefer the sugar cookie kind.

This is also #4 on my challenge list - thumbprints.


Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprints




1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips, divided
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter, divided
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs

1. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in microwave.

2. Beat sugar, 1/3 cup peanut butter, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy. Beat in melted chocolate. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in remaining chocolate chips. Cover and chill until just firm (about an hour or so).

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Make a 1/2-inch dent with your thumb into each ball. Fill with 1/2 tsp peanut butter. Bake 10-15 minutes or until edges are set but center is slightly soft. Let stand 2 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen

Source: Nestle's Best-Loved Cookies, 1995 p.35


Surprise-Filled Cookies




1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup fruit filling

1. Preheat oven to 300F.

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add flour mixture and blend on low speed until combined. Dough will be firm.

3. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. If the dough is too sticky, add another 1/4 cup of flour. With a small melon baller or a small spoon, scoop out the center of each ball (do not scoop all the way through). Place 1/2 tsp of fruit filling in each ball. These cookies will spread when baked, so it is critical that these are still balls and not flat cookies when filling.

4. Bake 22-24 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool a few minutes. Serve warm.

Makes 2 dozen.

Source: Mrs. Fields Best Cookie Book Ever!, 1996 p. 62

2 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake 1:26 PM  

I believe the brand of cake mix was Pillsbury. It was the Reduced Sugar kind, so it was the artificial sweeters that were lending to the laxative effect!

Julie 5:33 PM  

I love the idea of the chocolate and peanut butter thumbprints, the only kind I have ever had or seen has been the ones with the fruit.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP