Thank You!

>> Saturday, April 05, 2008

Thank you for everyone who gave me positive comments! It's very difficult to think positively when you are in a slump. Sometimes you just need those that care to give you that little push. There are still things going on (my cold, roommates, etc), but I'm starting to get over it.

I wanted to tell you about my trip to Savannah! My friends and I made an effort to eat locally, and I'm glad we did.



The Pirate House


We had lunch at The Pirate House when we arrived. They are famous for their honey pecan chicken, so I tried it in their lunch buffet. Mmm! The chicken itself is good, but add it with their famous honey pecan sauce, and damn it's amazing! I want to find an imitation recipe online when I get the chance. Even the rest of the food is good. They had your southern stuff - sweet potatoes, corn, squash casserole, etc. Apparently the buffet came with dessert, but the waitress brings it. If I would've known that, I would've saved room for some peach cobbler. And I didn't even think to ask to take it with me because our hotel room had a fridge. Also, The Pirate House is supposedly haunted, and I believe they give tours of the place. We didn't take a tour though.



A singing yeti haha


Locos


For dinner, we ordered in sandwiches from Locos. Coincidently, I got a sandwich called The Moose because it was roast beef with horseradish and coleslaw on the bun (not unusual for us Pittsburghers) and a bag of potato chips. I could've gotten fries or veggies, but I wanted chips. Glad they delivered to our hotel.



Paula Deen's Restaurant


Paula Deen's nephew (Uncle Bubba's son)


No trip to Savannah is complete without visiting Paula Deen's restaurant. My friends and I didn't eat there, but I know some people who did, and they said the food was great. When our trolley tour went past the restaurant, the line for dinner reservations was huge. Apparently you put your name in a raffle and hope you get picked. Two girls got their reservation at 9 pm. Another two girls managed to get in for lunch. And I learned Uncle Bubba's son is the manager of the gift shop.

I should also mention that if you have a large group or you take the Paula Deen tour, I believe you can get a reservation without the lottery.



Vinnie VanGoGo's


A security guard told two of my friends who told me where to get the most amazing pizza ever - Vinnie VanGoGo's. Not only are the slices bigger than your face, they use fresh ingredients. Ingredients that extend to artichokes, broccoli, feta cheese, spinach, and roasted tomatoes. We went here twice to eat.

Now, I didn't get a picture for these last two places, but if you want the best pralines ever, then you must stop at Savannah's Candy Kitchen. They have a store on River Street and a store right next to Vinnie VanGoGo's. They even give free samples. Supposedly their taffy is amazing too, but I don't eat taffy.

I had the best peanut butter ice cream at Leopold's Ice Cream. The staff is so friendly, and the girl gave us a sample of whatever we wanted. I tried lavender ice cream. Not my favorite, but very interesting. The ice cream was so creamy, I would take it over Ben and Jerry's any day! Plus it's a cute little ice cream parlor.

If you have a Facebook account, let me know because I have my pictures uploaded there. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the rest of the pictures to be uploaded to somewhere public.

3 comments:

Anj 7:43 PM  

Great trip report. I'm sorry to hear that eating at Paula and Sons is like a lottery, although I knew it was hard to get in there. Sounds like you found some great food anyway. I'm still hoping to get there in the next few months. I made the pralines from the Savannah Candy Kitchen after the owner was on Paula's show. They're on my blog and that recipe is a definite keeper. Hope you feel better and things start looking up! Thanks for sharing your trip.

Sara 11:40 AM  

I have always wanted to go to Savannah! It looks like such a fantastic place. Great post and pictures. I am on facebook, can you email me and tell me how to see your pictures?

Megan 1:01 PM  

What fun you must of had. I would love to see that part of the USA. Bummer about Paula's restraunt but I would of been happy with the gift shopp and the candy store.
Cant wait to see more!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP