Guest Post - Rainbow Cake

>> Sunday, February 27, 2011

Today's post is brought to you by my best friend Emer, who lives in Ireland (which is why I didn't go to the party :( ) She made a fun, pretty cake for her birthday and wanted to share.
---
Ever since I was a kid, I have loved rainbows. I had rainbow scarves, belts, necklaces...everything! I had forgotten about it when I became a grown up, until I saw this amazing cake on the blog I Am Baker.

It was a few weeks before my 23rd birthday, so I became determined to make this cake. I actually arranged a party, just so I would have people to feed/show off the cake to! I made it the night before, with the help of my boyfriend. The results were better than I expected, since my past experiences of full-size cakes had failed. I'm usually a cupcake person.




It was easy enough to make but very time consuming. I used a mix because I usually fail with making big cakes from scratch. I followed the recipe from I Am Baker's website.

I made the vanilla cake mix according to the instructions on the box. Then I split it into six and put colouring into each part. It's important to mix the food colouring in very thoroughly or there will be white or faded patches when the cake is done.

It had six layers so I put two tins at a time in the oven. If you have a bigger oven and more tins, it will be much quicker.

I sliced the tops off each layer so they are relatively flat. Then I put cream cheese frosting in between the layers to stick them together. For the frosting, I beat together 1 cup of butter, 16 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup of powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.




Then I sliced down the sides with a sharp knife to make sure they were smooth. I covered it in the cream cheese frosting to help the fondant stick later.




Then I rolled out store-bought fondant and covered the cake. There are many videos describing how to do this. I did it very badly because it was my first time and ended up with lots of lumps and holes. I covered them with purple icing decorations



I drew Hello Kitty on the top




The big suspense was when I had to cut it at the party. I was afraid it would be messy inside, but luckily it was perfect!



Everyone loved it! This is a good cake to make if you want to impress somebody. I plan to make it again in different colours. Maybe a cake decorated with a dragon on top, with flame colours inside (red, orange and yellow) for my boyfriend's birthday.

- Emer
------------------------------------------

1 comments:

Megan 11:07 AM  

Beautiful cake!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP