Amish Macaroni Salad

>> Saturday, July 11, 2009

When I was in Ireland, I learned that the first thing people think of when I tell them I'm from Pennsylvania is the Amish. Even when I was at Kate Voegele's concert, her opening act was amazed that she saw Amish people. Now, Pittsburgh's side of the state isn't really Amish country; it's more towards the Lancaster area. However, I have seen Pennsylvania Dutch (dress just like the Amish but believe in technology) near where I went to school and at the zoo on the carousel. If there is one thing I'm glad they invented, it's their macaroni salad. Amish macaroni salad? What is that, you ask. I have grown up eating this from the Wal Mart deli. Yes, I said Wal Mart deli. I have no clue if it's only our WMs or if all WMs sell it, but their macaroni salad is based off of an Amish recipe. What makes this so amazing? Mustard. I hate mayonnaise and although I can tolerate it in tuna salad, potato salad, etc., I cannot just simply put it on a sandwich like my dad does.

This macaroni salad still has mayo, but because it's combined with mustard, vinegar, and sugar, I can still have the creaminess without the taste. I am tempted to make homemade mayo, just to see if I like it because we buy Miracle Whip, which isn't -exactly- the same as regular mayo. After doing some Google research, it sounds like the two are different in taste. Any thoughts? The sugar in the dressing makes it sweet, so some people thought it was the right amount while others said I should cut back next time.


Amish Macaroni Salad


It's more yellow than what this picture shows. I hate the kitchen lighting.

1/2 lb. elbow macaroni (I just guessed)
1/4 cup chopped celery or green pepper (or both)
1/4 cup grated carrots
2 Tbsp chopped white onion
3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (yolks optional)
Paprika
1 cup mayo
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup sugar (you can cut back to 2 Tbsp if needed)
1 Tbsp yellow mustard

1. Cook macaroni as directed. Drain and let cool.
2. After the macaroni cools, mix with celery, green pepper, carrots, onion, and eggs.
3. In a small bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, sugar, and mustard. Fold into macaroni mixture. Sprinkle the top with paprika and stir a couple of times to mix it in. Cover and let chill at least 2 hours, although overnight is best.

Source: Recipe Zaar

Makes a lot of servings. 10-12 perhaps? We just kept eating.

8 comments:

Steph 6:08 PM  

I'm not a mayo fan either, especially not miracle whip. I find it too tangy. I think Hellman`s is a little better, but still.. mayo freaks me out almost in the same way that shortening does! I think I might not mind it as much with the mustard though.

Adam 7:00 PM  

Carla, I know we have many things in common, including being really good looking and loving football... but I am so happy I found a fellow anti-mayo fan. Thank you for being normal, and not giving in to the weird white goop.

I love having mustard in the salads. Down here, they put it in the potato salad too, which gives it a nice zing. You should try that too.

Suze 9:17 PM  

MMmm. Sounds absolutely yummy! I love the PA Dutch, I was out at the farmer's market in Princeton this morning. I actually picked up their mac salad for lunch tomorrow. :)

Sheep,  9:17 PM  

1.) The mayo vs miracle whip thing-miracle whip is actually sweeter than mayo. I don't like miracle whip on most things, I prefer mayo. I prefer the sweetness to be in my desserts. 8-)

2.) The kitchen lighting is so dim there, you should take more pix in YOUR room! ;)

<3

Katrina 9:52 PM  

Mayo and Miracle Whip are VERY different. I hate Micracle Whip, it almost makes me heave. But I can tolerate mayo. It's not my favorite thing (that would be chocolate ;), but I like mayo in salads and even a little smear on a sammie. I always buy light mayo, can't tell a difference, but save on a lot of fat. (Fat free isn't so good.)
Nice salad.

Megan 12:04 AM  

I love me some good mac salad!
So funny story for you. I set up my twitter account so I can tweet from my cell phone. Thought I had it fixed so I would get my twitter replys on my phone. But I dont get anything except your tweets. On vacation, the only time my phone rang was when you tweeted. I think I also got one direct message for you too. Not sure how to fix it but I'm up to date with your tweets! LOL :)

Alwayzbakin 7:37 AM  

That looks yummy! I'm always looking for a good mac salad recipe.

laby 9:06 PM  

I've made this twice in the last couple of weeks and it's great! I just posted about it on my blog Thanks for posting the recipe.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP