Tuesdays With Dorie - Devil's Food White-Out Cake

>> Tuesday, February 17, 2009



I dedicate this post to my best friend because this was her birthday cake (CHEESE!) and because we almost pee-ed our pants assembling this. You see, I had no problem executing the recipe. Some bakers said their cake didn't rise that much. Mine did. Others had trouble with the frosting and had to start over. Perfect the first time (although it did take 20-30 minutes for the syrup to reach 242F). But when it comes to decorating, well, I just suck.



What happened was I baked the cakes a few hours before going over the birthday girl's house. Instead of removing them from the pans to cool, I just let them cool in the pans. Wrong. The chocolate chips, which sank to the bottom, cooled and stuck to the plate, so each layer had a nice hole. So we went for two layers instead of three.




I didn't eat much of the cake because I was stuffed from dinner and ice cream. From the few bites I did have, the cake was fudgey and yummy. I wasn't crazy about the frosting, which I think someone said was Italian meringue. I just felt it had too much vanilla in it. When I asked around, everyone enjoyed the frosting, so maybe it was just me.

Thanks to Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater for picking this week's recipe. You can find the recipe on page 247 of Baking: From My Home To Yours or on Stephanie's blog.



8 comments:

Steph 3:06 PM  

O no Carla! But that's ok, I"m sure it was still delicious even with the missing hole. At least you had more crumbs! You should line your pans with parchment at the bottom so your cakes will never stick.

Danielle 3:47 PM  

Oh no I am sorry your cakes stuck. I let mine rest for about 10 mins in the pan then take them out. I didnt care for the frosting either so dont feel bad! I think it works better with a whipped cream frosting.

Megan 4:50 PM  

I love Italian meringue and yours looks so shiny and pretty. How can you pass on a big slice of that? YUM!

Engineer Baker 9:40 PM  

Oh, but I bet it was greatly appreciated - it looks quite tasty!

Reeni 10:13 PM  

It looks so beautiful!! Like a big puffy cloud!!! Yummy!

Lillian 9:30 AM  

We didn't like the frosting the first day, but it was much improved by the second. And remember -- looks aren't everything!

TeaLady 3:04 PM  

Looks don't matter, taste does. And yours looks tasty.

Jules Someone 9:55 AM  

It may not be the prettiest cake out there, but looks aren't everything!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP