A Healthier Way To Make Wontons

>> Sunday, January 04, 2009

Despite what I post, I do make more than just desserts. Today, I decided to make wontons for dinner. Normally, they are fried in oil, but you can bake them and get them just as crispy. There are so many fillings you can put into wontons, savory or sweet. Since I had a butternut squash in the fridge, I made Crispy Butternut Wontons. The recipe came with a spicy tomato sauce, but I used jarred spaghetti sauce. This recipe does take time because you have to bake the squash first. I find that boiling it in water for 5-10 minutes makes it a lot easier to cut in half before baking. Save the seeds so you can roast them later.

These wontons make a great appetizer, or serve with a salad for dinner.


Crispy Butternut Wontons



1 butternut squash
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, fresly ground
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 teaspoon water
1 large egg, lightly beaten
24 wonton wrappers

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Boil squash for 10 minutes; drain. When cool enough to handle, cut in half. Scoop out seeds; save for later use or discard. Place each half face down on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool.

2. Scoop out 1 cup of butternut squash; save the rest for another use. Combine with ricotta, parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

3. Mix together water and egg. Spoon about 2 tsp of mixture into each wonton. Brush edges of dough with egg mixture. Fold two opposite corners together so it forms a triangle. Repeat with remaining wontons.

4. Place wontons onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Brush tops with remaining egg mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve with tomato sauce.

Makes 24 wontons.

Source: Recipe Zaar

5 comments:

Steph 11:25 PM  

I usually boil mine because I'm too lazy to fry. Baking is kinda cool, but again.. to much work.. haha. I've only ever eaten them with meat, but cheese and squash sounds delicious! The only gross part about boiling is to not over cook them or else the skins get gross and mushy.

Carla!! School starts tmr.. :(

Reeni 3:53 PM  

Those look really good! I have wonton wrappers in my fridge right now, I wish I had some squash! I didn't know you could bake them, much healthier. I'm going to try mine baked next time.

pinkstripes 4:34 PM  

I love butternut squash. Those look delicious!

Katrina 4:38 PM  

Those look and sound really good!

Sara 1:03 AM  

These sound great, I am always looking for new ways to make butternut squash.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP