A Cake That Strengthens Your Arm Muscles

>> Thursday, January 15, 2009

I made this pound cake a few days before I came back to school because I had some butter I needed to use. Of course, I turned to my favorite book - Baking: From My Home To Yours. Dorie offers great tips on making pound cake before you start. Make sure that if you don't use a stand mixer, you have great arm strength because you end up beating the batter for about 10 minutes total. Also, it takes about 75-90 minutes to bake, depending on your pan size. You will probably need to add the foil tent after the first 45 minutes.

As far as taste goes, I don't really know what pound cake tastes like because usually when I have it, it has toppings that mask the base. I was expecting a little lighter texture, almost like angel food cake, but then again pound cake has a lot of butter and eggs in it haha





What better way to serve pound cake than with strawberries and whipped topping? Actually, you can use pound cake as the base for Baked Alaska. If I were home longer, that's what I would have done. Guess that means I have to make another pound cake later haha


Perfection Pound Cake




This cake can be found on page 222 with pointers on page 220 of Dorie's book Baking: From My Home To Yours. If you don't own this book, consider searching on Ebay or Amazon for a copy.

EDIT - Happy 200th post to me! If I weren't so poor, I'd have some kind of giveaway.

8 comments:

Katrina 10:32 AM  

Looks like you did a great job. I've never attempted a pound cake. They are too easy to buy at the store--and well, the butter--it goes right to me gut! ;)

pinkstripes 12:23 PM  

Yum! I loved this pound cake when I made it.

Reeni 3:59 PM  

It looks so pretty!! And delicious!

Alwayzbakin 4:53 PM  

Looks yummy, Carla. I haven't tried that recipe yet.

Steph 11:54 PM  

10 minutes!! Carla, that would have freaked me out.. I think whipping for 10 seconds is long sometimes. I actually have to count to make sure I don't undermix my cakes.. haha.. but I am getting better!

Steph 11:56 PM  

Although.. I could use some arm strengthening. It's so gross how untoned I am. But, what's a person who absolutely hates exercise going to do?

Megan 4:24 PM  

Happy 200th post to you Carla. It looks like you celebrated with a new look. I like it! Thanks again for mine. As for the pound cake, it looks scrumpdillalicious! Its been warm here so the strawberrys are perfect. Fresh, summery, and light!

Brilynn 10:50 PM  

Dorie recipes are always a good one to choose.
I've wanted to make baked alaska for a long time now and have never gotten around to it. Maybe I'll make this cake to get myself started.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP