A Soup To Battle Winter

>> Thursday, November 20, 2008

Snow is starting to hit good ol' Slippery Rock. Although not a lot of stayed on the ground, right now there is a thick flurry in the air. What better way to battle the cold than with a nice bowl of taco soup? And it's budget friendly and versatile. If you don't want meat, put in more veggies. If you love beans, put in a variety.

The one thing I may change next time is use beef (or vegetable) stock instead of plain water. Also, make sure you use a big enough skillet because I didn't have room to put in all the water. Oops haha


Taco Soup



1 lb. ground beef (I used maybe 1/4 lb.)
1 onion chopped (I just chopped until I had enough)
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cans (15 1/2 oz each) chili beans, undrained (I used 1 can black beans and rinsed them)
1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) corn, undrained (I used frozen)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Brown beef, garlic, and onion. Drain grease.

2. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, spices, and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into bowls and top with cheese.

Makes six servings.

Source: Kraft Food and Family, Holiday 08/Winter 09 p. 15

4 comments:

Reeni 1:44 PM  

This soup looks super yummy! I was just thinking of making veggie soup for dinner but I'd rather have this. I saw some snow flurries here too.

Adam 8:11 PM  

Yup, there's quite the amount of crazy stuff going on in that soup. I've used too small pans before, and oh my goodness, it gets messy :)

Hope the snow doesn't stick until winter break...

Steph 11:10 PM  

We got lots of snow yesterday... it was horrible! I guess it's better than rain, but summer and warmth is a million times better than the cold. Sometimes I wish I could wear snowpants outside, but I would so get made fun of! Nothing is better than warm soup on a freezing cold day!

Alwayzbakin 11:50 AM  

Looks yummy, Carla. I'm very jealous of your snow.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP