Tuesdays With Dorie - Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake

>> Tuesday, October 07, 2008



I was really excited when this week's recipe was Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake because that was one of the recipes where the picture was making me drool. Unfortunately, I wasn't too crazy about it while eating. My family liked it, so I think it was my tastebuds rather than the actual baking.

EDIT - Ok I just ate a slice from the fridge. A lot better than my first tasting. Plus I think it's the cake part I didn't like, not the topping. I'm eating the topping alone and yummy! Maybe it's the chocolate I used. I did use cheap chocolate because I can't afford better haha

A few words of caution. One, this cake rises like no other, so be careful if you are making smaller portions like cupcakes. I used a 9-inch round cake pan, and it was as full as you can get. Two, making caramel sauce is dangerous and tricky. I burnt my finger about a year ago, and the mark was there for about a month. The temperature of the syrup is hotter than boiling water, and it sticks to your finger, so that few seconds from contact to wiping it off really makes it hurt worse than boiling water. Also, caramel sauce burns fast if you aren't watchful. Dorie suggests 5-10 minutes. A lot of TwDers, including myself, found it to be 15 minutes. You want the color to be a few shades lighter than a deep amber when you turn the heat down because it continues cooking and will go from deep amber to burnt in about 30 seconds. Trust me. I had to make the sauce twice because it burnt the first time. And burnt caramel smells.

This past weekend plus yesterday and today is my school's fall break. I've been baking almost non-stop plus I went to an apple festival Saturday afternoon. This cake is one of the many items I baked and also gave away to my best friend's grandparents (since I don't have grandparents of my own).

Caramel Topped Peanut Brownie Cake




Thanks Tammy from Wee Treats by Tammy for choosing this week's recipe! You can find it on pages 264-265 of Baking: From My Home To Yours or visit Tammy's blog.

15 comments:

Charity Mann 12:13 PM  

Nice lookin' cake!!
I also found her caramel instructions to be vague- mine took way longer than 5-10 minutes- also I thought temperatures for a candy thermometer would have helped out a bit.

CB 12:39 PM  

Agreed. The caramel was the best part. I could have eaten it by the spoonful. The cake was just ok for me. It wasn't bad just not something I'd make again. Glad it was better for you the 2nd day!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Patsyk 12:43 PM  

Beautiful cake! I love anything topped with caramel!

Alwayzbakin 1:12 PM  

Looks really yummy. I didn't think mine was so great, either.

Steph 1:36 PM  

I wasn't too crazy about it either, but it sure looks good! Do you ever think that you're more critical of the things you bake than others? Sometimes I have people telling me it tastes really good or they can't stop eating it, but I think its just ok. Either it's our tastebuds or throw in chocolate and people will eat it.

Fall break and apple festival.. I'm jealous!

Engineer Baker 2:14 PM  

The topping definitely was fantastic. And I react the same way to days off, I just bake and bake and bake. It's a wonderful thing.

pinkstripes 4:36 PM  

Your cake looks delicious. Yum!

Esi 5:07 PM  

I have been loving everybody's pictures of this today. It looks like a lot of people came to the same conclusion that the topping is better than the cake part. Looks great though!

Adam 6:22 PM  

Well now speaking of chocolate fixes, it looks like you got yours. That's too bad the taste or whatever was a little off. I think some other people had the same problem. Couple other random stuff:
-Agree with you on pumpkin coffee is awesome
-Blister for a month? Guess you don't drain them.
-Enjoy your school break :)

Tammy 6:41 PM  

thanks for making my pick!

Megan 2:01 AM  

Your cake looks great. How sweet of you to give it to the grandparents. Good job! :)

Stephanie Bourassa 10:27 PM  

I am LITERALLY drooling right now! seriously! hehe!
I'll have to keep this recipe!
I didn't know it was your fall break. Man I wish I was nearer when you are off.. how much delicious food I'd get to eat hehee!

Marthe 3:29 AM  

Your cake looks delicious!!
Next time I make this, I'll probably be using a different recipe for the cake, but I loved the caramel sauce!

Shari 9:11 AM  

Looks delicious!

Lauren 6:35 PM  

YES this cake rises like no other. I wasn't crazy bout the cake either though- the caramel part was my fave too!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP