Leftover Egg Whites No More!

>> Friday, September 05, 2008

Don't you hate it when a recipe calls for egg yolks and you have no clue what to do with the egg whites? I remember my friend saying a long time ago she made meringues and I should really give them a try. I knew what meringues were and that they involved egg whites, but I actually never had a meringue. I have made Dorie Greenspan's recipe twice this past summer - once following her recipe using almonds and again substituting walnuts and adding coconut. I prefer the almonds, but really it's up to preference.

If you are like my family and I and never had meringues, be prepared. The texture is weird, so I didn't like the way it felt on my teeth. But somewhere after the first few cookies, I changed my mind and now I crave them.


Cocoa Almond Meringues



These cookies were baked back in June. As much as I've been posting, I can't seem to catch up on my recipes haha You can find the recipe on page 155 of Dorie Greespan's book Baking: From My Home To Yours.

5 comments:

Avory 1:03 PM  

Ha, I have the exact *opposite* problem. I love meringues and pavlovas but I don't want to bake *another* dessert just to use up the yolks. Last night I made an angel food cake and threw a dozen yolks away.

Nancy/n.o.e 4:08 PM  

I didn't think I'd be interested in another cookie after all the TWD creations lately, but these meringues look amazing!

I have an award to pass on to you - it's at my blog :)

Nancy

Steph 4:58 PM  

I always have too many egg whites and am looking for ways to use them up. At least this recipe gives me a much needed break from butter! The amount of butter I've consumed since I joined TWD probably amounts to how much I've had the entire last year.

It's great that you can still bake.. hopefully I'll still have time when school starts next week :(.

Stephanie Bourassa 7:10 PM  

The only time I tried meringues, they didn't turned out very good. They are actually tricky to get them perfect. At least all the chefs on TV keep saying. That means you're a good cook! I never heard of variations with cocoa and nuts. I thought it wouldn't work to add other ingredient but it sounds good!

Nazarina A 5:40 PM  

Mmmmm I shall place my order for a dozen please, I am feeling a bit under the weather and your crispy delicious cookies will put the spring back into my step!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP