Great Summer Salsa

>> Sunday, September 07, 2008

With the summer coming to an end, we foodies better take advantage of the crops, including corn on the cob. Before I went back to school, I made this salsa. Our grill broke at the house, so we've been using the George Foreman grill, but you can only do so much with it. So I decided instead of grilling the corn called for in this recipe, I was going to broil it. I forgot the brush the ears with melted butter before broiling, so that might've made a difference in taste (whoops!)

Sorry for the horrible picture. I didn't have time to stage it better because it kept going and going.


Grilled Corn on the Cob Salsa



2 corn on the cob, hulks and threads removed
2 Tbsp melted butter
4 tomatoes
6 scallions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
Tabasco sauce, as needed
Salt and pepper, as needed

1. Brush the corn with melted better and grill or broil for 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally until tender and brown. Once cool enough to handle, remove kernels by standing each cob upright and slicing down the length of the cob with a knife.

2. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds. Then immediately plunge into ice water. Peel the tomatoes (skins should peel easily) and finely dice the flesh. Mix diced tomatoes, corn kernals, scallions, and garlic in a bowl.

3. Stir together lemon juice, oil, Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper. Pour over tomatoes and corn and mix well. Cover and let sit for 1-2 hours before serving. Serve with either nachoes or on top of chicken.

Source: 400 Sauces, 2006 p.83

4 comments:

Steph 4:57 PM  

I don't think I had corn all summer this year except once at a bbq. Grilled corn is the best.. even without the butter. I always wanted to get a George Foreman grill, ever since it was on the infomercials. At least it could compensate for our burned down BBQ.

By the way, I go to the University of Toronto and am majoring in nutrition and psychology. I live at home so I have access to a kitchen, but I have to commute to and from school everyday and that takes at least 2.5 hours. By the time I'm home, I'm usually really tired. Commuting on the bus totally sucks the energy out of you. I'm thinking of getting an iphone or something .. at least I can keep with up blogs on my way home.. if only it wasn't so pricey! I really hope I can keep my blog going during the year, at least for twd and db and continue visiting all the amazing blogs.

Your major is really cool.. I probably wouldn't be creative enough to tackle that! Do you know how difficult it was in the beginning to even start my blog up!? When are you graduating? I'm graduating this year and am freaked out because I don't know what to do with my life! I wish I could just blog and bake forever and not have to worry about anything... hahah

Reeni a.k.a. Cinnamon Girl 7:17 PM  

This looks so yummy! I agree that it would be great on some grilled chicken or even with shrimp. I love how juicy burgers and chicken come out on George's Grill, it's nice to have that as a back-up!

Adam 10:21 PM  

Hey, don't go scaring us about all the summer veggies leaving... it's like a race against time :)

Great idea with the George Foreman grill aka "The best illegal cooking device on college campus".

Kristen 10:47 AM  

This sounds like a great salsa! Something different. I love it!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP