Weekend Cookbook Challenge Entry

>> Monday, April 14, 2008

Back in November, Megan baked Sweet Applets for our cookbook exchange. There was a misunderstanding, so I ended up making Apple Harvest Squares. To make us even, I went ahead and made the Sweet Applets. This is also my entry for this month's Weekend Cookbook Challenge.

I don't know why this recipe was listed in the cake section. This is definitely a muffin. Maybe because they used a cupcake pan for this? Or maybe the standards were different in 1964. I used McIntosh apples, chopped instead of shredded. I cut down on the topping, so the adjustments are listed below. Next time, I would consider adding chopped walnuts to the batter.


Sweet Applets




1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups chopped or shredded apple
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners or grease cups well. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside.

2. Cream 1/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar together. Beat in egg. Alternate between adding milk and dry ingredients. Stir in apple. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full.

3. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Let cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp butter in one bowl. Mix 2 Tbsp sugar and cinnamon in another. After 10 minutes is up, roll each muffin into the butter and then cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve immediately.

Makes 12 muffins.

Source: Pillsbury's 15th Grand National Bake-Off Recipes, 1964 p.23

4 comments:

OhioMom 9:14 AM  

I just happen to have all these ingredients on hand :) Will give these a try.

OhioMom 12:03 PM  

Just to let you know, after seeing these muffins this morning I immediately went to the kitchen ... they are really good :)

Seeing as I have a hard time following any recipe exactly, I changed the topping ... LOL !

I also baked them at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Otherwise they are exactly the same :):):)

Sara 2:26 PM  

Those look really pretty. I love anything with apple in it! Thanks for hosting WCC this month!

Megan 11:42 AM  

Hope you liked these as much as I did! Great picture of them.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP