A Nice, Warm Breakfast

>> Sunday, December 09, 2007

What better way to start a snowy, weekend morning than with a warm breakfast? I decided these past two weekends, I would make pancakes. I've never made pancakes before *gasp* My family usually buys the frozen kind, and if we were to make them homemade, my dad would make them. Just like I never learned how to make scrambled eggs (I don't like egg yolk, so I would never make them for myself anyway). I used the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box (which I bought on sale with a coupon for $1) and made eight pancakes each time (to last me all weekend). For those of who not familiar with Bisquick, it's pancake and baking mix in a box. It's typically made up of dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, etc.

The first weekend, I made chocolate chip pancakes. So good you don't need to add butter or syrup. Two things I learned - always make sure your burner is level (3 out of 4 are crooked on our stove) and never, EVER put water in the hot skillet right after the last pancake is finished. I always do that everytime I make dinner so it is easier clean up later. Let's just say there was so much steam/smoke I was this close to setting off the smoke alarm *cough* I posted below Bisquick's recipe. When I run out of Bisquick, I'll be looking at pancakes totally from scratch.

The second weekend (yesterday) I made gingerbread pancakes. I've been craving gingerbread ever since the holiday season started. I didn't think these had enough gingerbread flavor, but then again I didn't have cloves to add. If I can find a reasonably-priced bottle of cloves, I'll have to try this recipe again. If you make this with cloves, let me know how it tastes.


Chocolate Chip Pancakes




1 cup Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup chocolate chips (feel free to use nuts, raisins, blueberries, etc.)

In a bowl, mix together Bisquick, milk, and egg. Fold in chocolate chips. In a heated skillet, pour 1/4 cup batter in a circular motion. Pancake is ready to flip when bubbles form on the surface. Repeat until batter is gone. Makes 8 pancakes.

Source: Back of Bisquick box


Gingerbread Pancakes




2/3 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup Bisquick
1/8 cup molasses
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
Powdered sugar, for dusting

In a bowl, mix together Bisquick and spices. Add milk, molasses, and egg. Let chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes. In a heated skillet, pour 1/4 cup batter in a circular motion. Pancake is ready to flip when bubbles form on the surface. Repeat until batter is gone. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes 8 pancakes.

Source: Recipe Zaar

2 comments:

. . .,  12:58 PM  

Yay for the gingerbread pancakes! Oh my goodness those just sound too good.
I have been wanting to make more breakfast foods lately. I will definitely have to give these a try!

Happy holidays!

eatme_delicious 9:32 PM  

Mmm gingerbread pancakes sound like they would be really delicious! Maybe adding more spice next time would help? And if you really like ginger, maybe chop up some crystallized ginger?

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP