Weekend Cookbook Challenge 17

>> Monday, June 04, 2007

The theme for the next WCC is cornmeal. Cornmeal is very cheap to purchase, so I usually have a couple of boxes handy. I made this cornbread muffin recipe before and enjoyed them so much, I decided to share for this challenge.

EDIT - The round up has been posted here.


Corn Pup Muffins




3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten with fork
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 hot dogs, cut into 1 inch pieces

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin pan with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.

2. Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Make a hole in the bottom of the bowl and pour in milk, beaten egg, and oil. Stir just until blended. Fold in cheese.

3. Drop a spoonful of batter into each muffin cup. Place hot dog piece into batter. Fill with enough batter to cover the hot dog (This does not mean drown the hot dog. It means make sure the piece is covered in batter because the batter will rise).

4. Bake 10-12 minutes. Muffins should be lightly browned and clean when toothpick is inserted. Let cool before removing from pan.

My thoughts: Being tired does not help me with this recipe. First, I forgot to add the chili powder. Second, I forgot to switch the oven from preheat to bake, so my baking time was alot longer. Third, I filled each cup too much so I only got 12 muffins and used only 2 hot dogs. The recipe does call for mini-muffin tins so that could justify for my amount. Despite my mess ups, I love eating these.

Source: USA Weekend Newspaper - Nov. 10-12, 2006

3 comments:

Emer 8:38 AM  

Ah so those are definitely not cupcakes. I've never heard of savoury muffins like this, but they look sooo good.
Is Montery Jack cheese a brand? Like cheddar?

Carla 12:58 PM  

Yea it's a type of cheese. If you can't ifnd it, just use cheddar :)

Paige 1:30 PM  

Looks good. I'd forgotten about the WCC, so this was a great reminder!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP