Baked Potato Soup

>> Sunday, October 02, 2011

I knew after waking up for work this past week, I was going to eat soup for dinner because I've been blowing my nose and sneezing for a few days. What really surprised me was the energy I had when I got home from work. Usually when I felt like this, I would make some ramen and call it a night. However, I decided to take advantage of it.



Sooo...how DO you make brown soup look appealing?

My first plan was kohlrabi soup. However, my kohlrabi was moldy!! Blahhhh. Almost grabbed the ramen, but then the bacon stopped me. Bacon and potatoes. How time consuming would baked potato soup be? I looked up some recipes real quick online. Most call for an already-baked potato. Nah, don't have time for that. What if I just cooked the potatoes right in the soup?



Normally, I peel my potatoes because by the time I use them, eyes are growing everywhere. Since these were still fresh, I left the skins on. I didn't cook the bacon until crispy, mainly because I LOVE when it's still slightly chewy.

Baked Potato Soup



3 strips bacon
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp dried chives
Salt and pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baking potatoes, cubed (peeling optional)
1/2 cup milk or cream
Chives for garnish (fresh or dried)

In a large pot, sauté bacon until crisp. Drain but leave the bacon
drippings. Sauté onion for a few minutes in the drippings then sauté garlic
for another minute. Add flour, chives, salt, and pepper; mix well.
Gradually add broth and scrape up the brown bits (keep them – they add
flavor). Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes (broth should
thicken). Add potatoes. Cover and boil for 15-20 minutes. Stir every few
minutes because the potatoes may stick to the bottom. When potatoes are
done, add milk or cream; heat but do not boil. Garnish with chives on top.

Makes 4 servings

Source: Adapted by me

2 comments:

The UDG 8:36 PM  

Just found your blog randomly and I have to say, I will be back, mainly because I'm a potato soupaholic and must give this a try.

Carla 8:45 PM  

I hope so! I definitely recommend making it. A lot :)

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP