Tuesdays With Dorie - Vanilla Ice Cream

>> Tuesday, July 28, 2009


This week's pick was Vanilla Ice Cream. I have made this recipe at least three times as written and one time with strawberry puree. Growing up, I hated vanilla ice cream. Usually it was from Dairy Queen or from the store, and I found the taste just too...boring. Then Megan from Megan's Cookin sent me some vanilla beans last year. I really don't know what prompted me to make vanilla ice cream. I guess because I couldn't think of anything else to make with the beans. Boy, do vanilla beans make a difference! I haven't tried the homemade version with extract, but I don't think I'll even bother. Vanilla beans all the way! It can be kinda messy if you have long nails like me because I kept getting specks underneath haha



I already blogged about the ice cream last year. Kinda wish I had a better picture :X The custard does not take long to reach 180F, so have your thermometer ready and remove from the heat asap. Also, you don't need an ice cream maker. Just ask David Lebovitz. You do need to have patience and a somewhat free evening so you can beat the mixture every half hour or so. It won't be a complete disaster if you slack. You'll just have some ice crystals when you eat it.

Thanks to Lynne of Cafe LynnyLu for choosing a great ice cream recipe! You can visit her blog for the recipe or turn to pgs. 428-429 of Baking: From My Home To Yours.

Also, I found out that my turn for picking a TwD recipe is Sept. 29!! I can't wait until it is officially announced because I've been waiting a long time to make this dessert :D

8 comments:

Adam 8:16 AM  

Yeah I've noticed that about vanilla ice cream too. I personally love it, but honestly, it is the like original ice cream flavor. People even say things like "That's so vanilla" when they mean boring :)

Glad to see that vanilla beans do in fact make the difference, and I'm even more surprised that you have long nails :)

Katrina 10:04 AM  

Looks great. Sometime when I'm feeling rich, I'll have to splurge and get some vanilla beans. It was still a great ice cream just using extract, as I did. I may cut out some of the egg yolks next time.
Can't wait to see what you've picked for your turn coming up!

chocolatechic 10:48 AM  

My custard broke.

I was just so sad, but I used it anyway...after I strained it.

Megan 1:06 PM  

I'm glad your now a fan of vanilla! And I'm glad you were able to put some beans to good use. Can't wait to see what you picked. :)

Lillian 5:15 PM  

Ooh -- strawberry puree sounds good. I'll have to try that. Can't wait to see what you pick for your week!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog 6:50 PM  

I imagine dissolving the ice cream in my mouth slowly...pure bliss for a dessert–man :)

Cheers,

Gera

Engineer Baker 3:16 AM  

Isn't it fun when it gets to be your turn to pick? Can't wait to see what you chose!

Rap Music 7:20 AM  

I don't normally eat ice cream, but this is some tasty looking stuff.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP