Tuesdays With Dorie - Blueberry Blackberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream

>> Tuesday, August 12, 2008



When I first read that this week's recipe was Blueberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream and that those who don't own an ice cream maker can make something from the past, I immediately thought, nope not doing ice cream, let's see what I can make from past picks. Then Laurie (the wonderful creator of this group <3) posted two links on how to make ice cream by hand. I knew you could do the plastic bag way and the coffee can way, but those involve rock salt or a ton of table salt. But I clicked on David Lebovitz' link anyway. After reading that tutorial, I immediately wanted to go in the kitchen and give it a try. So I decided to actually look at Dorie's recipe. First, no eggs. I use a ton of eggs in baking, so we are always running out, and well, grocery bills aren't exactly pleasant. Just knowing that there are more eggs for other recipes made me happy.

Then I ran into one slight problem - I hate blueberries. Just looking at blueberry pie makes me queasy. Blueberry oatmeal literally makes me sick. I once had a dried blueberry in my spinach bagel (by accident), and when I tasted it, I immediately spit it back out (talk about your reflexes). The only time I can eat blueberries without getting a bad stomach reaction is when it is mixed with pomegranate because one time, I had blueberry pomegranate juice and another time, I had blueberry pomegranate applesauce. So needless to say, I wasn't going to make blueberry ice cream. Well, why not use another berry? I went on a hunt, ON A HUNT, for raspberries, and the local farm nor the grocery stores had raspberries. I didn't know the window for raspberry season was tiny or I would've taken more advantage *grumble grumble*. So I ended up buying blackberries at the store.

So after my berry hunt, I am finally ready to make some ice cream. Honestly, I didn't think the method was going to work. I thought I would still have some ice crystals, but nope, it all worked out fine. Towards the end of freezing, I was watching CSI so I didn't exactly go out and mix it every 30 minutes, maybe every 45 minutes or so. I will warn that there was too much sour cream for my family and I to handle, so next time I would reduce the amount from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup sour cream.

Blueberry Blackberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream




Thanks to Dolores from Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity for picking this week's recipe. For the recipe, you can look in Baking: From My Home To Yours on p. 434 or visit Dolores' blog for the recipe.

16 comments:

The Food Librarian 11:14 AM  

Looks great! I'm glad David's method worked out (I borrowed a machine). The blackberries give it a great color too!

CB 12:10 PM  

Glad you were able to give the non-ice cream maker method a try! Your ice cream looks yum! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Bumblebutton 12:58 PM  

What a terrific color! And kudos to you for making the machine-less method!

Tara 1:32 PM  

Looks good! I braved it by hand too and it wasn't too bad!

Dolores 2:02 PM  

I had no idea so many people were allergic to blueberries! I love your blackberry version and I'm glad David's method worked well for you.

Lori 3:12 PM  

i'll bet it was great with blackberries!

Engineer Baker 6:45 PM  

Blackberries sound like a delicious way around your gag reflex :) Beautiful.

The DeL Family 8:50 PM  

Yum! Blackberry sounds good!

OhioMom 9:16 PM  

The color looks wonderful, I make my frozen desserts by hand all the time, no machine here either :)

Pamela 10:36 PM  

It looks delicious. I hope you and your family enjoyed all of the effort you put into this one.

Rebecca 10:58 PM  

I've got to try it Dave's way. I completely wimped out this week because of the blueberries, but making the ice cream by hand sounds fun.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats 4:14 AM  

Blackberry icecream looks great! Good for you for using the non-icecream maker method.

Steph 12:16 PM  

what an awesome job!! You're ice scream looks scrumptious!

Nancy/n.o.e 4:09 PM  

I wimped out on the ice cream this week and made a rewind because of the ice cream maker. I'm impressed that you found a way to work around two problems! The blackberry ice cream looks fab.

Carla 6:41 PM  

Thanks everyone! The blackberries were a wonderful sub in this ice cream, and David's method was so easy, I'm planning on making Dorie's vanilla ice cream soon.

betty geek 6:59 PM  

Nice job! :D

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP