When You Just Don't Want To Share

>> Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I love Taste of Home magazine. Anj from Gulf Coast Gram sent me some awhile ago, and I fell in love, so I signed up for a free copy from the ToH website. In their Cooking for Two edition, they have several dessert recipes, and this Boston Cream Sponge Cake caught my eye. Back in February, I bought 3 small heart-shaped springform pans on sale. I've only made cheesecake in them, so I thought this cake would be perfect. It calls for a 4-inch round pan, and since my heart pans were also 4 inches, it worked out fine.

This would be perfect to make after a special dinner with a loved one because you don't have to share. And trust me, you're not going to want to share.


Boston Cream Sponge Cake




2 eggs
6 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour

Custard
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup milk
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp butter, softened

Frosting
1/2 cup powdered sugar
5 tsp heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 square (1/2 oz) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and salt, beating until thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Fold in flour, 2 Tbsp at a time. Spoon into two greated 4-inch springform pans (they will be full). Bake 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.

2. Custard: In a small pan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks before adding them to the pan (Adding a little bit of heat first will keep it from turning into scrambled eggs). Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature without stirring. Once cool, cream butter and gradually beat in custard.

3. Frosting: Beat frosting ingredients until mixed.

4. To assemble, cut each cake in half horizontally. Place bottom layers onto two serving plates. Spread each with filling. Replace cake tops. Spread frosting on top. Refrigerate until serving.

Makes two 4-inch cakes.

Source: Taste of Home Cooking For 2, Winter 2008 p.22

3 comments:

Megan 10:55 PM  

Perfect for just two! I'll have to try it when my daughter is at a friends and only the hubby and I are home. :)

OhioMom 6:28 AM  

Oh this definitely looks yummy, and I love the small size.

Anj 7:33 AM  

What a perfect use of those pans. I just love hearts -- will have to look for them. I'm glad you enjoyed your magazines. Anything from Reiman Publications is great in my opinion.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP