Bananas For You

>> Tuesday, June 10, 2008

When there are leftover, overripen bananas in the house, I tend to make banana bread. However, it has been happening a lot this summer, so I'm getting bored with it. I decided to search around in my cookbook collection and find a new recipe. I found several options but decided to go with Ms. Greenspan's Cocoa-Nana Bread. Just like the name states, it is chocolate banana bread. This one is definitely a keeper (then again, all of Dorie's recipes are). I followed the directions exactly, including putting the loaf pan on a cookie sheet while baking. She notes that it will add extra installation and prevent the bottom of the bread from overbaking. I guess it worked because it turned out fine.


Cocoa-Nana Bread




2 cups flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
8 Tbsp butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9x5 loaf pan and place on an insulated baking sheet.

2. Sift together flour, cocoa, powder, salt, and soda.

3. In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed for 1 minute. Add both sugars and beat another 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition. Reduce speed to low and beat in bananas. Add dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing only until they disappear into batter. Add buttermilk, mixing until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into pan.

4. Bake for 30 minutes. Cover with foil. Bake for another 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan. Then let cool to room temperature.

Source: Baking: From My Home To Yours, 2006 p.46

5 comments:

OhioMom 7:52 PM  

Yummy! I had to toss some bananas during this heat wave too, no way was I turning on the oven :)

Megan 11:24 PM  

I have some ripe bananas in the freezer and I have been eyeing this recipe. Thanks for the review!

Charlotte 4:42 AM  

It happens alot in my house. The second a banana is ripe I get calls for banana muffins but sometimes it can get so boring! Although now I am kicking myself for never thinking of banana and chocolate!

Anj 8:34 AM  

Wow, that looks so moist and rich. A great idea for those ripe bananas. Yummy!

Flourchild 4:22 PM  

I had to come see! I think it looks and sounds great!!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP