And The World Spins Madly On

>> Monday, May 19, 2008

I haven't had a chance to bake anything new since I've been home from school. My parents had two old bananas, so I made some banana chocolate chip bread. Then my best friend's mom's boyfriend's birthday was last week, so I made him a peanut butter and jelly cake. As promised, he made me a Kahlua cake, but the pictures are on my best friend's camera.

On Monday, Megan sent me a package because I'm helping her with a new layout. Unfortunately, it's on hold right now because my laptop is getting fixed. However, she sent me a lovely package with a surprise cookbook (picked from my amazon.com wish list), some vanilla beans (still in their plastic bag), and her chocolate-covered strawberry jam I still have yet to try. Thanks, Megan!





Then my 21st birthday was on Thursday, so I've been too busy to do anything in the kitchen. Don't worry; I didn't get sick. Just had lots of fun. Actually, I'm quite energetic and super hungry the next morning. The morning of my birthday, my dad finally planted my garden. Everything is mine except for the tomato plants. Those are my dad's.


Top row, left to right: zucchini, yellow bell pepper, tomato. Bottom row, left to right: yellow squash, red bell pepper, tomato.


Six jalapeno plants


Then yesterday I finally got to baking. A representative from Betty Crocker sent me a free package of their sugar cookie mix so I could bake the winner. I had some problems with this recipe because the dough was too sticky for me to handle, but Megan had no problem when she made hers. Could it have been the weather? Perhaps. One day it's warm. The next day it's chilly and rainy. Plus I've always had trouble rolling out dough. I didn't make the glaze because I made these cookies last night and by the time they cooled, I was too tired. Then today, I just want to curl up and lay in bed all day. So that extra sugar isn't needed. Just make sure when you roll these cookies, wrap it around at least twice because they spread, and not all of mine remained swirled.

These cookies were excellent in flavor, but until I can master rolling and shaping, I probably won't make these any time soon.


Cinnaspin Cookies




1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) sugar cookie mix
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1. Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, mix cookie mix and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in butter and egg until soft dough forms.

2. On piece of waxed paper, shape 1 tablespoon cinnamon into a line about 5 inches long. Using floured fingers, shape 1 tablespoon of dough into a rope 5 inches long. Press one side of dough rope into cinnamon.

3. On ungreased cookie sheet, coil dough rope tightly, cinnamon side facing center, into cinnamon-roll shape. Press end of rope into roll to seal. Repeat with remaining dough. Place cookies 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.

4. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.

5. In small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.

Source: Betty Crocker

3 comments:

Megan 4:48 PM  

Happy Happy Birthday!!! :)Hope it was wonderful. Now that you can buy booze, we'll have to bake some boozy treats. Rum soaked cakes or something yummy. ;)
My dough was a tad bit soft and hard to roll also. I should of let it chill a bit before I rolled, but like you, I was tired.
Glad you liked the goodies!

OhioMom 8:00 AM  

Happy Belated Birthday ! 21 years old ? Lol ... I am 3X your age :)

The cookies look good, love cinnamon.

Anj 11:57 PM  

Happy belated birthday. I was in Savannah last week and I'm just getting caught up. I had to look twice at the picture before I realized it was a cookbook -- I thought it was something you had baked and thought -- man that girl is good! What a great present.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP