I Feel So Accomplished

>> Sunday, March 09, 2008

Spring break started on Tuesday, so I haven't been online as often as I usually am. I did get a lot accomplished. I went to two internship "interviews" and waiting to hear about another one. I had lunch with a friend whom I haven't seen since graduation almost three years ago. I bought three more cookbooks. I finally uploaded all my cookbooks to my online library, which does not include the books that I am getting rid of (gasp!). I've had some baking disasters, and I've had some baking accomplishments. And this afternoon, I found out I received two awards from Megan. How cool is that? Thank you, Megan!





I'm giving both of these awards to Carla of Four Foodies because we share the same name, the same interests, and I believe she is the latest food blog I have discovered that I visit often.

Now for the baking. Remember my challenge list? I can cross off two things - 83. Bread machine and 32. Fudge.

Back in February, my high school had a flea market. Crazy me found and bought a bread machine for $1.50. Yup, you read that correctly. One dollar and fifty cents. That was half off since we went during the final hour. I plugged it in and it looked functional, so I took a risk. Chances are that someone got rid of it more because of lack of use rather than it not working. It didn't come with the manual, so I found one online. It recommended making a basic white bread for the first time, so I did. I never realized how amazing fresh bread really is! It tasted like the kind you get at the restaurant while waiting for your meal. My only problem was slicing it because I'm not very even haha




Now for the best news - I finally made fudge! Not gooey stuff in a pan, but actual solid fudge, the kind you buy at the store. FUDGE! I swear this is about my sixth attempt. Now, I don't know if Alton Brown would call it fudge since it has marshmallow cream in it and therefore making it "fudge-like candy", but whatever. It still tastes like fudge. I made Cookies and Cream Fudge because I'm planning on making an Oreo bundt cake later this week, and it doesn't require a whole package. Actually, I can't call it Oreo fudge or Oreo bundt cake because it's not Oreo brand, but it's still the same concept. This fudge is very rich, so I suggest cutting into smaller squares. The original recipe makes it for a 13x9 inch pan, so I cut it in half for an 8x8 pan. Below is the 8x8 recipe.

Cookies and Cream Fudge



1 1/2 cups sugar
6 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup marshmallow cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies

1. Line 8x8 pan with foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter.

2. Combine sugar, butter, and milk in a large saucepan. Keep stirring until it is at a full rolling boil. Stop stirring and let it boil for 3 minutes. If you have a thermometer, the temperature should be at a soft ball stage, about 234F. If you don't have a thermometer, make sure it is at a high rolling boil (without spilling over).

3. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, crushed cookies, and vanilla. Pour into pan. Refrigerate until firm. Lift the foil from the pan. Cut into squares.

Source: Recipe Zaar

4 comments:

Anj 8:27 PM  

What a great find on the bread machine. Looks like you turned out a good loaf with it. My fudge calls for marshmallow cream so I think yours is legit also.

Megan 9:59 AM  

Great find on that bread machine! I can smell the bread from here! But I really want a piece of that real fudge. :) You know, I've never made fudge. Hummm. I must say, your blog looks good dripping in awards!!!

Carla 10:21 AM  

Thanks Carla! This is so nice of you!

Your bread looks great, the best investment you can make if you are planning to make bread often is a bread knife. Mine came with my Wusthof set, but I have seen some rather inexpensive ones if money is tight. They really make a difference! I love my bread machine, we make pizza crust in it every Friday and my hubby hand tosses it.

The fudge also looks great. I have thought about your challenge you are doing and I don't know if I have 100 things, but I am slowly mentally compiling a list. Nigella's pistachio fudge is to die for, if you want to try another easy "fudge" recipe!

Julie 6:48 PM  

This fudge looks really creamy, I'll have to give it a try.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP