Cake With A Hidden Surprise

>> Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Who doesn't love a chocolate surprise? I was looking for recipes to use in my new ramekins I bought at Target. They are egg-shaped for Easter, so they are slightly smaller than normal ramekins. I saw this recipe online at Kraft Foods when I was reviewing Real Player Plus. Later, I saw the recipe in Kraft's magazine, so I knew I had to make them.

I ended up baking these twice. The first time I overbaked them, resulting in a cooked center rather than the melted liquid that was supposed to happen. Damn. So I tried it a second time, being very cautious with time. The first one I tested turned into a puddle of chocolate goop when I removed it from the ramekin, so I stuck the other three back in a little longer. My family loved them. Next time, I'm going to experiment with the flavors, perhaps adding extracts and even using white chocolate.

Now I can cross off #97 - Ramekins from my list.


Molten Chocolate Cakes




1/2 cup semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
6 Tbsp flour

1. Preheat oven to 450F. Grease four 6 oz ramekins. Place on baking sheet.

2. Melt chocolate and butter until butter has melted. Stir with wire whisk until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar until well blended. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks until blended. Stir in flour until blended.

3. Divide between ramekins. Bake 13-14 minutes or until sides are firm but centers are soft. This is very important because if you underbake it, it'll come out as chocolate goo when you remove it from the ramekin. If you overbake it, there won't be a liquid chocolate center. Let stand 1 minute. Invert cakes into dessert dishes. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if desired. Serve immediately.

Makes four small cakes

Source: Kraft Food and Family Holiday 2006, p. 78

3 comments:

Megan 10:27 AM  

I love molten cakes. They are so quick, easy, and fancy. I make a spiced version with red wine and spices from the McCormick Spice website. Delish. Probably my favorite dessert if I HAD to pick one.

Carla 12:39 PM  

mmm, I love molten cakes as well. Anything baked/made in a ramekin is great, portion control as well as having your own dessert you don't have to share. How great is that?

I don't subscribe to Taste of Home, one of the few I actually don't. I used to love them and have a thick stack of them on my shelf, recently, it doesn't appeal as much to me. Not sure. I guess I have too many subscriptions right now. I really should stop. I did subscribe to their new one, Healthy Cooking just the other day though. Figured I'd give it a try.

Christine 4:19 PM  

Molten Cakes are one of my favorite desserts and these look yummy! Going to have to give them a try.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP