Something Smells Fishy In Here

>> Saturday, February 02, 2008

Studying in Ireland was the first time I bought groceries for myself. I decided instead of buying tuna all the time, I would try salmon. Note to self - when buying salmon, make sure it is labelled "boneless and skinless." Why would you buy salmon with bones? It took me at least 15 minutes to pick the tiny discs out. Never again. During the last week of Christmas break, I promised my dad I would make salmon patties with cream sauce if he would buy a can of salmon. Well, he did, and I kept my promise. His mother used to make it for him all the time, and I tried my best to duplicate it. I'm sure you could use substitute tuna or crab for the salmon.


Salmon Patties with Creamed Pea Sauce




1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
1 tsp Italian seasoning (you can also use parsley or basil)
15 oz canned salmon, drained (make sure it says boneless and skinless)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs

Sauce
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease cookie sheet.

2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in seasoning; remove from the heat.

3. Put salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork. Add egg, mix well. Add onion mixture, and breadcrumbs. Shape the mixture into 8 patties. I found that packing the mixture into a 1/4 measuring cup works really well. Bake until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constanty. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add peas. Spoon over each salmon patty.

Makes 4 servings.

Source: Patties adjusted from Recipe Zaar; sauce also from Recipe Zaar

5 comments:

Julie 6:55 PM  

I just love food like this, it's so comforting.

Anj 9:18 AM  

I love salmon patties. Beautiful picture with the sauce.

Carla 9:02 PM  

I responded to your comments on my blog. However, I just got around to counting my cookbooks and figured I'd respond over here in case you didn't check. 139 cookbooks, plus magazines and little grocery store cookbooklets that I didn't bother to count. Uh, then I have Mastercook and binders just like you. So, I think we share an obsession.

These sound nice, I haven't ever used canned salmon. But, I have plans to make salmon cakes later on this week, so it'll be my first time. Canned meat used to irk me for some reason, haha. But I'd figure I'd give it a go.

Carla 8:53 PM  

The peanut butter reese's thingys are so worth the, 10 minutes it takes to put them together. lol.

If you ever get a chance to get fresh salmon too, I highly recommend it. There is nothing like it, I have a recipe on my blog that I am fond of. I really miss living on an island and always having it. I haven't been able to find that quality in ND(obviously). Ugh!

Thanks for adding me to your food blog list :) I had one way back when, but didn't know if anyone ever cared. I should probably add it back, at least for my own convenience.

Tom Aarons 11:24 PM  

This looks like really nice simple tasty comfort food. Exactly what I'm craving right now. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP