Polish + Italian = This

>> Tuesday, January 29, 2008

One thing I miss being away from home is having pierogies every other Friday. Sure, I could buy a box and make them myself, but it isn't the same because my dad drenches and fries onions in butter until brown. Soooo bad but sooo good!! I usually ask for it every time I come home. That and gyros. When I stumbled upon this recipe from The Cookbook Junkie, I knew it was perfect for my family. I made this recipe during winter break, but I finally got around to posting it. I adjusted the ingredients slightly because I didn't want to add cottage cheese. Although Paula refers to it as a casserole, I see it more as a lasagna. This probably isn't the healthiest meal to make because of the butter, but it would make a great addition for Lent.

I really need to organize my bookmarks, almost as much as I need to organize my cookbooks. lol

Also, my package from Marye arrived today!! I bet the mail room was jealous because of the smell. I'll be posting a review after I try everything, hopefully next week.


Pierogie Lasagna




9 lasagna noodles
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup chopped onion

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles for 10 minutes or until flexible. Do not cook throughly because it will cook more in the oven.

2. Melt 1/4 cup butter. Spread on the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch pan. Place 3 noodles on bottom on pan. Combine cheese and potatoes. Spread 1 1/2 cups on top of noodles. Top with 3 more noodles. Spread remaining potato mixture on top. Cover with remaining 3 noodles.

3. Saute onions in remaining 1/4 cup butter until golden brown. Pour on top of lasagna. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes for easier cutting.

Makes 8-12 servings, depending on size of each piece.

Source: Modified from The Cookbook Junkie

2 comments:

. . .,  8:06 AM  

sounds delicious!

did you eat pierogies so often because you're polish . . .? i am partly polish (and definitely have the fully unpronounceable last name). do you have any other recipes that you'd eat all the time?

The Cookbook Junkie 9:55 AM  

I hope you enjoyed it.

That reminds me that I still need to make real pierogies. This is the perfect time of year to stay in and make pierogies but we eat so many of them at Christmas, I was a little burned out. Maybe by the end of February I'll get to them.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP