Royalty Chicken

>> Monday, September 10, 2007

There is no definite origin to the dish chicken a la king. After doing a bit of research, it was made by some chef in some restaurant and was named after some guy with the last name of King. Why did I decide to make this dish? Simple - I have milk to use. Plus I wanted to do something with my peas. I didn't make the traditional dish because I didn't have mushrooms, sherry, or pimentos. I remember a frozen dinner long, long ago that was chicken a la king with carrots and peas, so that's what I think of. Here's a college version of the recipe. This makes 2 - 3 servings, depending on how much you put on toast.


Chicken a la King




1 chicken breast, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1/8 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup carrots, chopped (I didn't have any to add)
2 slices bread

Fry chicken in skillet until cooked; remove and pat off grease. Clean skillet; place back on stove. Fry onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir. Gradually add milk and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until thick and bubbly. Add chicken, peas, and carrots. Place bread in toaster. Serve chicken mixture over toast.

Source: About.com

What is your favorite chicken dish?
I love flavored chicken wings. We buy a bag, dip in various marinades such as buffalo or terriaki, and bake until done.

2 comments:

. . .,  11:07 AM  

this reminds me of the 'top chef' episode where the contestants had to recreate comfort foods. they got on sara's case for not using peas . . . i had no idea, really, what chicken a la kind was myself. but now i can clearly see the peas. =)

it looks great, by the way. very tasty. very comforting,

The Cookbook Junkie 1:21 PM  

I should not admit this but those chicken a la king boil-in-a-bags were one of my favorite foods when I was growing up.

I don't have a favorite chicken dish now - there are too many good ones to choose from.

Post a Comment

Stay Connected

Email: chocolatemooseyblog[at]gmail[dot]com
Facebook: Chocolate Moosey Fan Page
Twitter: @chocolatemoosey
Pinterest: Chocolate Moosey's Boards
Foodbuzz: Chocolate Moosey's Profile

Copyright

© 2007 - 2012 Chocolate Moosey

All content belongs to Carla unless otherwise noted.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP